Today is Earth Day travel world!
Earth Day is an annual event celebrated on 22nd April that focuses on promoting environmental awareness and encouraging people to take action to protect our planet. It was first celebrated in 1970 and has since become a global movement, with events and activities taking place in communities around the world. Earth Day is an important reminder that we all have a role to play in preserving the health of our planet and ensuring a sustainable future for generations to come.
There are many creative ways to celebrate Earth Day whilst travelling! Here are a few ways to travel more sustainable to help out our planet. These are for frequent travelers or people who travel infrequently – small changed make huge differences.
- Take public transportation: Whenever possible, use public transportation such as buses, trains, and subways. These options typically have a lower carbon footprint than driving alone.
- Walk or bike: If your destination is within a reasonable distance, consider walking or biking instead of driving. This is not only a more sustainable option but also a great way to get exercise and enjoy the outdoors.
- Choose eco-friendly transportation: If you must drive, consider renting an electric or hybrid vehicle, or carpooling with friends or coworkers to reduce emissions.
- Stay in eco-friendly accommodations: Look for hotels and accommodations that have implemented sustainable practices, such as using renewable energy, conserving water, and reducing waste.
- Pack light: The heavier the luggage, the more fuel a plane, train, or car will use. Pack only what you need and consider using a carry-on instead of checked luggage.
- Support local businesses: When traveling, choose to eat at locally owned restaurants and shop at local markets to support the local economy and reduce the carbon footprint of transportation and shipping.
- Reduce waste: Bring a reusable water bottle, coffee cup, and utensils to reduce waste while on the go.
By making these small changes to our travel habits, we can collectively help reduce our impact on the environment while still enjoying all that travel has to offer.
Have a wonderful Earth Day and remember, go outside, touch some grass and remember looking after our Earth is looking after ourselves.
Love and Hugs,